Information: Cospicua became a parish in 1586 and the parish church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, was elevated to the dignity of a collegiate church in 1822. The image of the Blessed Virgin above the high altar was crowned by Cardinal Ferrata in 1905 and, fifty years later, Cardinal Tedeschini adorned it with a halo of twelve stars.
Name: Collegiate Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception Dedication date 25 May, 1732
Priest: Archpriest Rev Can Joe Mifsud
Office Address: 65, Triq il-Gendus, Bormla BML 1025 Telephone 21828 413 Fax 2180 0002
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 4.30 - 6.00 pm Saturdays 10.00 - 11.00 am
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.00, 8.00, 9.15, 11.45 am and 5.00 pm Saturday Evenings: 4.45 and 6.00 pm Weekdays: 7.00, 8.30 am and 6.00 pm
Other information on churches under this parish: St Paul's Church The church was built in 1741 on the site of an older church built in 1590. Marriages may be celebrated in the church. Perpetual Adoration is held daily from 7.30 am to 5.00 pm Priest in charge Archpriest Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 8.15 am Weekdays: 7.00 am St Thomas Chapel Priest in charge Archpriest Holy Masses Sundays: 8.30 am Holy Family Centre and Chapel (Domus) The Domus is a centre for the teaching of Catechism to children and adolescents, young people and adults, senior citizens and other meetings. Priest in charge Archpriest Chapel of St John the Almsgiver Outside the Vittoriosa fortifications since 1373 there existed a church dedicated to St John the Almsgiver. The church was demolished when the Cottonera lines were built and a new church was erected on a higher ground in 1680. This church was extensively damaged during the War: it has been restored but it is not yet in use. St Joseph Conservatory Priest in charge Archpriest Holy Masses Sundays and Feast days: 10.30 am Weekdays: 4.30 pm Chapel of the Ursuline Sisters The Ursuline Sisters started building their convent in 1952 and two years later they began their mission in the area caring for and educating children. Priest in charge Rev Can. Rev Joseph Zammit Chapel of the Franciscan Sisters The Franciscan Sisters opened their school in Cospicua in 1889. The convent and school were totally destroyed by bombs during the War, but were rebuilt so that the sisters could continue their mission of educating and teaching children. Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00 am Weekdays: 6.30 am St Margaret's Monastery Priest in charge Discalsed Carmelite Friars The monastery was built as an orphanage in 1726 by two priests, aided by a lady who with some of her friends took care of the orphanage. The ladies lived as a community of religious of the Third Order of the Discalced Carmelites. Grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena insisted that the ladies should take the habit of the second order of the Discalced Carmelites and in 1739 seventeen nuns made their religious profession before Bishop Alpheran de Bussan. Dedication date 28 Ocober 1787 Telephone: 21820558 Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 7.15 am Weekdays: 7.15 am Church of St Therese of Jesus The church and friary of the Discalced Carmelites was built in 1625 and for over two centuries it was the only church and friary which the discalced Carmelites had in Malta. Dedication date 18 March 1797 Priest in charge Rev Mario Borg OCD Telephone: 21826111 Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 6.45, 7.45, 8.45, 10.15 am and 4.15 pm Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm Weekdays: 6.15, 7.15, 8.00 am and 6.30 pm Chapel of the missionaries of Charity Telephone: 21 66 60 21 Holy Masses Occasionally