Information: The church of St Mary was built in 1617 and was always considered a building worthy of admiration, although it remained closed for a long number of years. In 1950 the Collegiate Chapter of Birkirkara decided to restore the church and it was opened again for worship in 1973. For a few years it served as the church of an autonomous pastoral zone. It was declared a parish by Archbishop Joseph Mercieca by a decree on 8th May 2005.
Name: Birkirkara Santa Marija Pastoral Zone
Priest: Rev Lino Azzopardi
Office Address: 130 E B Vella Street, Birkirkara BKR 1570 Telephone 21448026
Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 4.30 - 5.30 pm Saturdays 9.00 - 11.00 am
Masses: Sundays and feastdays: 7.00, 8.30, 10.00 am and 6.00 pm Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm Weekdays: 7.00, 8.30 am and 6.00 pm
Other information on churches under this parish: St Aloysius College Church St Aloysius College was built in 1896 - 1897 to house Jesuit students. In 1907 through the efforts of Pope St Pius X, the College took the place of the College the English Jesuits had in St Julians and which had been closed. The church of the College was built in 1914 and dedicated in 1923; it is open to the public and marriages may be celebrated in it. Priest in charge Rev Joseph Cassar SJ Telephone 2279 5311 Holy Masses Sundays and Feastdays: 7.00, 8.00 am; 9.00 am (in English) Saturday Evenings: 6.15 pm Weekdays: 7.00 am Christus Sacerdos Chapel The Home for the Clergy was built by Mgr Salvatore Grima as a retreat house and residence for priests, especially elderly priests. Mgr Grima invited a group of girls to pray for the sanctification of priests and help priests in their needs, especially those residing in the Home for the Clergy. The Chapel is open to the public daily from 10.00 am to noon and from 4.00 to 7.00 pm. Priest in charge Mgr Norrie Bonavia Telephone 2144 1670