Information: The devotion to Our Lady of Divine Grace dates back to many centuries and the Sanctuary has since been a centre of frequent pilgrimages. |abbar became a parish in 1615. The present Sanctuary was built on plans by Tommaso Dingli between 1641 and 1696. In 1738 a new facade designed by Giovanni Bonavia was given to the Sanctuary. The titular painting by the Maltese artist Alessio Erardi was made in 1715. In 1951 it was solemnly crowned by Archbishop Michael Gonzi. During 2001 a 12 star silver diadem was placed by Archbishop Joseph Mercieca.
Name: Parish Church dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Grace Dedication date 31 October 1784
Priest: Parish Priest Rev Sebastian Caruana
Office Address: 22 Sanctuary Street Zabbar ZBR 1013 Telephone 2182 4383 Fax 2169 1862
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Fridays 9.00 - 11.00 am Mondays and Wednesdays 5.00 - 7.00 pm
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.15, 8.30, 10.15, 11.30 am; 5.30 pm Saturday Evenings: 5.00 pm; 6.15 pm Baptisms First Sunday: 4.00 pm Weekdays: 6.00, 7.15, 8.30 am; 6.00 pm
Other information on churches under this parish: St. Mary’s Church This church is also known by the title “ta’ l-indirizz” (a guide towards eternal salvation) and is the only one having this title in Malta. It was built during the 17th century replacing a much older chapel. During the French blocade it served as a parish church because of the great damage suffered by the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Divine Grace. Today not only Masses are celebrated in the church but catechetical instruction is also given. Holy Masses Daily (except Mondays): 7.00 am Marija Bambina Pastoral Centre The centre is used for catechetical instruction and Masses are celebrated there on certain days. Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 9.00 am Thursdays: 6.00 pm (winter); 6.30 pm (summer) Church of Our Lady of Mercy This chapel is part of the parish cemetery which is in use since 1676. It is used for funerary services and other Masses during the year. Holy Masses Mondays: 4.00 pm (winter); 5.00 pm (summer) Annunciation Church The present church was built in 1861 on the site of an older church built in 1610; today it is used by the Catechumenate Movement. EUCHARISTIC ADORATION Mondays to Fridays 8.00 am - 7.00 pm St Nicholas Church This church was built in the 16th Century and was partially damaged during the Second World War. Today it is used for prayer meetings. St Domenica's Church This church was built in 1954 replacing an older one that was heavily damaged during the Second World War. The old chapel was decorated with beautiful frescoes, the central one was saved and is preserved in the Sanctuary Museum. Church of Our Lady "Tal-Plier" This church owes its origin to Joseph Testaferrata who in 1585 left a legacy for the celebration of its patronal feast. This church is situated in the centre of the housing estate built recently, in a locality known as "Tal-Plier". Ursuline Sisters Church This church forms part of the Convent of the Ursuline Sisters. It was built between 1983 and 1986. Telephone 2180 3974 Holy Mass Wednesdays: 7.00 am St Leonard Church This church is part of a beautifully laid summer house that belonged to the Baroness Anne Casici Casolani. In 1656 it was rebuilt by the Cleric Leonard Sammut. Today this church is not in use. St Andrew Church The church situated near the church of St Domenica was built in the fifteenth century for the people living in the outskirts of the village. Today it serves as a headquarters for the Zabbar Scout Group. Holy Cross Church The church that was blesssed on the 3rd April 1993, serves the pastoral needs of the people living in the area. Adjoining it is the St. Andrew’s Pastoral Centre used for catechism classes. Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 8.00 am Saturday Evenings: 5.30 pm in winter; 6.00 pm in summer Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 8.30 am Tuesdays and Thursdays: 6.00 pm in winter and 7.00 pm in summer St. James Church – Xghajra The church was built in 1933 to cater for the spiritual needs of the people living in the area. Telephone 2169 0241 Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 7.30 am, 11.00 am , 5.00 pm in winter; 6.00 pm in summer Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 8.30 am Tuesdays and Thursdays: 5.30 pm St. Joseph Church The chapel is the Convent chapel of the Dominican Sisters and caters for the pastoral needs of the people living in the Housing Estate. Telephone 2182 4740 Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00 am Weekdays: 7.00 am Nazareth Pastoral Centre Holy Mass Sundays: 8.30 am