Information: The parish church of Senglea, dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, was most probably built by architect Vittorio Cassar in 1580 as a monument to the Christian Victory after the Great Siege of 1565. Senglea became a parish in 1581 and was consecrated on the 20th October 1743. Pope Pius VI on the 21st May 1786 declared the church to be a "collegiata insignis", while Pope Benedict XV in 1921 honoured the church with the title of Basilica; after the crowning of the statue of the Virgin Mary on the 4th September 1921 the church became a sanctuary of the Virgin Mary. The church was destroyed by bombs in 1941, but was rebuilt and consecrated by Mgr Gonzi on the 24th August 1956.
Name: Collegiate Parish Church of the Virgin Mary Dedication date: 20 October 1973; 24 August 1957
Priest: Archpriest Rev. Can. Joseph Grech
Office Address: 27 St Lawrence Street Senglea ISL 1113 Telephone 2182 7203 Fax 2180 7204
Office Hours: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 4.30 - 6.00 pm
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.00, 9.15, 11.00 am; 6.00 pm Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm Weekdays: 6.30, 7.45 am; 6.00 pm
Other information on churches under this parish: St. Julian's Church The church was built three times in 1311, in 1539 and finally in 1731. Marriages may be celebrtated in it. Priest in charge Archpriest St. Philip's Church The church, dedicated to Our Lady of Good Havens (the Visitation), was built in 1640. It is known as the church of St. Philip Neri as it was given to the Oratorians who rebuilt it in 1741. When the Oratorians left Malta, the archpriest of Senglea became responsible for the church. During the cholera epidemic the friary adjacent to the church served as a hospital, and when Senglea parish church was destroyed by bombs during the last war, St. Philip's church served as the parish church. Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00; 8.30 am Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm Weekdays: 8.00 am; 6.00 pm