Information: At Luqa in 1492 there was a small chapel dedicated to St. Andrew; this chapel was substituted by a church built between 1539 and 1542. When Luqa became a parish on the 15th June 1834, through the efforts of the first parish priest a new church was built and completed in 1686; it was enlarged between 1693 and 1737. Bishop Labini consecrated the church on the 7th December 1783. Betweem 1901 and 1910 the church was further enlarged, but was completely destroyed by bombs durting the last war. It was rebuilt between 1945 and 1954 and consecrated by Archbishop Gonzi.
Name: Parish Church of St. Andrew Dedication date 7 December 1783 Rededication: 26 September 1962
Priest: Parish Priest Rev Karm Camilleri
Office Address: 2 Church Square, Luqa LQA 1700 Telephone 21809310 Fax 21676055
Office Hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: 04.00 - 5.45 pm Tuesdays, Fridays: 09.15 - 11.00 am
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7,00, 8.30, 10.30 am and 5.00 pm Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm winter; 6.30 pm summer Weekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45 am; 6.00 pm winter; 6.30 pm summer
Other information on churches under this parish: Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel The church was built in 1784 and rebuilt in 1848; it was demolished by bombs during the war and rebuilt as part of the Parish Centre. St. James Chapel The church was first built in 1550 and rebuilt in 1623. It has recently been restored. St. Mary's Chapel Known as Tal-Ftajjar The chapel was first built in the 15th century, and rebuilt in 1613. Today it is used for Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. Priest in charge: Parish Priest Victory Chapel (Hal Farrug) Hal Farrug, originally part of Bir Miftuh, became part of Luqa Village in 1634. The chapel dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was one of the many small churches which formerly existed in the area. It was built towards the end of the fifteenth century. In 1992 it became a centre for pastoral activities. And in 1992 a Pastoral Centre was inaugurated. Priest in charge Rev David Farrugia Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 9.30 am Mondays to Saturdays (during Summer): 6.30 pm